Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +

Summary: After the Blades lost...

Rated: PG

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes

Word count: 676 Read: 874

Published: 06 Aug 2009 Updated: 06 Aug 2009

Viggo walked into the house and heard the TV blaring in the living room. He tentatively headed in that direction not knowing what to expect when he got there. He entered the room to find Sean sitting on the couch with one hand holding the remote and the other holding his head.

Sean lifted his head when he heard Viggo walk into the room and stared at him with eyes that appeared suspiciously moist. "We lost," was all he said.

Viggo didn’t say a word as he sat down next to Sean and wrapped his arms around the man. Viggo never could understand what it was about football that had the ability to reduce Sean to such a child-like state. When his team won he would joyfully shout and run around the room like a kid on Christmas who had eaten too much sugar. But when his team lost he would walk around for the rest of the day, and sometimes even the next day, looking as though a beloved pet had died.

However, even if Viggo didn’t understand it, he had come to accept it. He tended to leave Sean alone during the game as his constant questions only annoyed him, but he was always ready to celebrate or grieve with Sean when the game was over. And today it looked like it would be a whole lot of grieving.

"We were so close," Sean began a moment later. "I thought this year for sure. I mean, we made it to the finals. One more win and we would have been in the Premier League next year. Now we’re stuck in the First Division for another year playing against Watford, Norwich, and Millwall, and Wolverhampton get to play against Liverpool and Manchester United and Arsenal. And the Wolves! Of all teams. Bloody bright orange uniforms. And with Doritos as their sponsor. They belong in your damn Yankee ‘soccer’ league. Not in the English Premier League!"

He paused and softly rubbed his upper arm softly, fingers tracing over the tattoo that Viggo knew as well as any mark on his own body. Viggo didn’t say a word, just held his lover. He knew from experience that there was nothing he could do. He learned early on that telling Sean ‘It’s just a game’ did a lot more harm than good. It also subjected him to an hour lecture on how English football was so much more than just a game and he was in no mood to listen to it again.

"We belong in the Premier League," Sean finally continued. "It’s been almost ten years since we’ve been there."

"Hasn’t it been even longer since Wolverhampton has been there?" Viggo asked softly.

"Yes," Sean sulked, "but that’s different. We belong there. They don’t." He paused for a moment and regarded Viggo suspiciously. "How did you know that it’s been longer since Wolverhampton has been in the Premier League than it has since the Blades have been?"

Viggo gave a small chuckle as he replied, "I’ve been reading up lately. I’ve even watched a few games when you were out of town. I figured that if I could learn enough about it that I didn’t have to ask you a bunch of questions all the time, maybe you would enjoy having me around for games."

"Really?" Sean asked with a small smile.

"Really," Viggo answered.

"But why?" Sean questioned.

"Because it’s important to you," Viggo replied. "And if it’s important to the man I love, then it’s important to me by default. Though I will never be able to be as enthusiastic about it as you," he finished with a small laugh.

"I wouldn’t expect you to be," Sean said, his face brightening a bit. "So next season, it’s you, me, and the Blades?"

"Certainly," Viggo said.

Sean’s face broke into a grin. "You know, Vig, I think that’s even better than a Blades win…"