Summary: Bad weather is not Sean's friend.

Rated: PG-13

Categories: Actor RPS Pairing: Sean/Viggo

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: Outside It's Raining

Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes

Word count: 7055 Read: 3270

Published: 06 Aug 2009 Updated: 06 Aug 2009

Sean's descent down the mountain would have caused double-takes and turned heads, had anyone been there to witness it. As it was, in the heavy rain there was nobody to see him in his full Boromir costume, shield strapped to his back and his cloak drawn tightly around him in an effort to keep him warm

"Should have just got in the bloody helicopter," he muttered to himself with chattering teeth. He was soaked to the bone and still miles from civilisation.

He hiked on, trying to ignore how cold he was and instead focusing on the warm meal and hot shower he'd be able to enjoy when he got home.

~~

Viggo's attention was half on the food in front of him and half on the rain pouring down outside the catering tent. He was barely listening to the idle chatter of his younger co-stars who were busy inventing some new game with which to torment Elijah. Apparently none of them had noticed that Sean still hadn't returned from his hike down the mountain.

"Are you going to join us, filthy human?" Orlando asked, with an elbow to Viggo's ribs. Viggo almost growled. Normally he liked a good tussle as much as the rest of them, but right now he was just worried about Sean.

"Not today," Viggo replied absently, his eyes still watching the downpour outside. Orlando shrugged, used to Viggo's mind being elsewhere.

"Suit yourself."

Viggo's mind returned to Sean. Maybe he'd gone straight home to change and warm up. The thought comforted Viggo a little but he decided to go and check, just to make sure. With a muttered excuse to the others he gave the rest of his meal to Billy, and then he headed outside to his car.

He was wondering how he was going to drive when he could barely see more than a few inches in front of his face, when he heard the voice.

"Costume are going to kill me."

It was Sean, and there he stood quite literally dripping wet. Viggo's first instinct was to embrace his friend, but it quickly occurred to him that getting Sean dry was the first priority so instead he wrapped an arm around his shoulders and guided him to the costume trailer.

"I'll protect you," he whispered, his spare hand moving to the sword, which was always at his side

Sean attempted to grin but ended up shivering instead. Viggo pushed him inside.

If Iris and Ceci, the two costume girls had planned on shouting at Sean for soaking their costume, they soon forgot about it when they saw him. Both of them had a bit of a soft spot for the Yorkshireman who was quiet and shy and apparently totally unaware just how handsome he was.

"Sorry 'bout this," Sean mumbled as the two girls fussed and fretted and helped him to remove his wig.

"Don't worry about it, these costumes were designed to be hardy. I'm sure there's no serious damage."

Viggo sat in the corner and watched this interaction with mild amusement. The two girls were both fighting for his attention and Sean was totally oblivious to the whole thing.

"We need to get you out of these wet clothes," Ceci announced, barely able to contain her grin.

"Just hang them over there," Iris added, pointing to a hook in the corner of the trailer.

Viggo shifted in his seat as Sean slowly removed his tunic, followed by his chainmail and then finally his undershirt. Even though his skin was covered in goosebumps, he still looked perfect and Viggo swallowed hard. He'd lost count of the number of times he'd imagined Sean in a state of undress, but whenever he was presented with the real thing his fantasies seemed pale and insignificant. He knew he should avert his eyes but somehow he couldn't bring himself to look away.

His mouth dried as Sean reached for his shirt and gave Viggo a clear view of his muscles flexing as he stretched over. A quick glance at Iris and Ceci showed that they were staring just as much as he was. Thankfully Sean had his back to them and had no idea just was he was doing to them all.

Viggo nearly had to get up and leave when Sean removed his trousers, giving them all sight of his pale blue boxers. Thankfully, for his sanity at least, Sean quickly pulled on his jeans and turned back to face them.

He managed a tired smile for the two girls and thanked them softly, causing them both to blush furiously. Viggo stood up, opened the door and steered his friend outside

"I'll take you home and fix you something hot to eat," Viggo said as Sean slid into the passenger seat.

"You don't have to do that, mate, really. I'm knackered. I think I'm just gonna grab a shower and head to bed."

"Which is exactly why you need me there to cook you some dinner. You need to eat, Sean."

"That's rich coming from you, Vig. You barely remember to feed yourself most days."

"But you always remind me," Viggo replied with a smile, "and now I'm returning the favour."

Sean saw that look in Viggo's eyes. The look he got when he was getting into Aragorn's character. That steely, determined look. He knew then he would be pointless arguing and he fell silent.

~~

Viggo ordered Sean into the shower as soon as they were inside and set about cooking some dinner while Sean washed and warmed himself. It was only when an hour had passed and the food was ready that Viggo realised there was still no sign of Sean. He found the bathroom to be empty and wandered down to Sean's bedroom, finding the door half open. He poked his head inside and smiled when he spotted Sean half lying on the bed with his legs hanging off the edge. Sean had managed to put some jeans on but had apparently given up before getting around to a shirt.

Viggo stared for a moment..He wished he had his camera with him. Sean looked so beautiful lying there, so peaceful. It made Viggo ache with longing just to look at him like this.

Sean shifted slightly in his sleep, bringing Viggo back to awareness.With a shake of his head Viggo moved over and shook Sean's shoulder. His skin was warm, probably from the shower and Viggo felt a pang in his heart as he allowed his hand to linger for a little longer than was necessary.

"Sean, wake up."

Sean grunted in his sleep and pushed Viggo's hand away.

"Sean, at least get into bed properly. Come on."

He shook Sean again and this time his eyes half opened.

"Vig? What you doing here?"

"I brought you home, remember?"

Sean coughed, rubbed the sleep from his eyes and sat up. "Right. Sorry."

"Do you want something to eat or do you just want to sleep?"

"Don't wanna waste all that food you just cooked."

Viggo had long since learned that Sean very rarely stated what he actually wanted. He looked like he could barely keep his eyes open.

"Come on," Viggo said, taking Sean's arm and pulling him to his feet. "Let's get you into bed before you fall asleep again."

Sean managed to stay upright long enough to remove his jeans, leaving his boxers on for the sake of his modesty. He then crawled into bed and gave a grateful smile when Viggo helped draw the covers over him.

"Thanks, mate" I 'preciate it."

He was asleep before he could hear Viggo's reply of 'you're welcome'

~~

Viggo ate dinner alone and in silence, contemplating just what it was that had brought him here. He cared about Sean of course, but he wondered how his friend would react if he ever discovered just how deep Viggo's feelings went. Sean was aware that gender wasn't much of an issue to Viggo as far as choosing lovers was concerned, but being aware of a man's bisexuality and being on the receiving end of it was an entirely different matter. Viggo had decided to keep his feelings private, and managed it very well. He was an actor after all. If Sean just wanted Viggo's friendship then that's what he'd have.

When he'd finished eating Viggo washed up the dishes and walked back to the bedroom to check on Sean before he left. Though the darkness Viggo could see Sean stretched out on the bed, the sheets kicked down to his waist. Viggo walked over to the bed and pulled the sheets back up over Sean. It was then that he noticed the heat radiating from Sean's body, but also that he was shivering quite violently. With a frown Viggo pressed his hand against Sean's forehead and withdrew it almost instantly as the heat nearly burned him. The gesture had apparently woken Sean because he latched onto Viggo's wrist with his hand

"Vig, I'm bloody freezing."

"You're sick, Sean. I'm going to call the doctor."

He tried to pull away but Sean's grip only tightened. "Don't leave me, Vig, please."

He sounded so vulnerable, and in so much pain, it almost broke Viggo's heart to leave him. He forced himself to pull away.

"I'll be back in a minute, I promise."

He didn't know whether Sean actually heard him or not
~~

The doctor arrived half an hour later and quickly set about examining Sean.

"It's quite a severe case of the flu," he told Viggo once he was finished. "He needs to be kept warm, have plenty of rest and I've left some medicine to help bring the fever down. He should be back on his feet in a week or so."

Viggo nodded, relieved that it wasn't something more serious. He wondered how Peter was going to react to the news that he'd be without Boromir for a week.

The doctor seemed to read his mind. He was employed by the studio to look after the cast and crew, after all. "I'll inform Mr Jackson of the news. I expect he'll come over in the morning to check on the patient. I realise you don't live here but it would be good if someone stayed with Sean at least until the morning.

"Of course." The idea of leaving Sean hadn't even entered Viggo's head.

"I've given him some medicine but he'll need some more in about four hours and then again in the morning."

"Alright. Thank you."

And with a shake of Viggo's hand the doctor was gone.

~~

As soon as Viggo had locked up Sean's house he stepped quietly into the bedroom to check on him.

"Vig?" Sean's voice was raspy and he coughed as soon as he'd finished speaking. Viggo winced in sympathy. He hated the fact that Sean was suffering like this. He moved over and sat on the edge of the bed, resisting the urge to run his hands through Sean's sweat dampened hair.

"How are you feeling?"

Sean shifted uncomfortably in the bed and attempted to draw the covers more tightly around himself.

"It's bloody freezing in here."

Viggo didn't hesitate. He walked around to the other side of the bed and climbed in, carefully pulling Sean into his arms and hoping he could take some of the warmth from his own body.

"Better?" He asked as Sean rested his head in the crook of Viggo's neck. Sean was still shivering but he nodded.

"Mm, better."

And with that he appeared to drift back to sleep.

Viggo lay there, wide awake, with Sean in his arms trying not to think about how just holding him like this was affecting the rest of his body. Sean needed comforting right now, not molesting in his sleep.

Sleep was not a luxury Viggo could afford right now. He had to make sure he was awake to give Sean his medicine in a few hours. So Viggo lay there and just enjoyed the feeling of having Sean in his arms.

~~

"Sean?"

"Mmf."

"Sean, you need to wake up. You need to take your medicine."

"Wha'?"

Viggo managed to disentangle himself from Sean's arms and went to get the medicine, which the doctor had left on the table beside Sean.

"Come on," Viggo said, seeing that Sean's eyes were now open. "Take this and you can go back to sleep."

Sean sat up, bleary eyed and looked curiously at Viggo. "How much did I drink last night. Me head's pounding. And what are you doing here?"

"You're not hungover, Sean, you're sick. Don't you remember seeing the doctor?"

"No."

"Well, just take my word for it then. Now, take this and then you can go back to sleep. The doctor says you need to rest for a week. He's already cleared it with Peter."

"A week? Don't be so bloody stupid, Vig. I can't lie around for a week. I'm fine."

To prove the point he threw back the covers and sat up, closing his eyes as it took a few seconds for the room to slide into focus. Then he stood up, walked one step and and fell as his legs gave way beneath him. Viggo caught him before he hit the floor.

"Fine? Really?" Viggo asked with a wry smile as he helped Sean back into bed.

Sean muttered something under his breath which sounded to Viggo like a bunch of British curses he'd never heard before. He resisted the urge to grin as he poured the medicine out for Sean.

"Come on, take this and stop complaining."

Sean muttered again but took the medicine, his eyes already starting to droop as the exhaustion from getting up started to take its toll. As he drifted back to sleep, Viggo ensured that the blankets were tucked tightly around him before he wandered into the kitchen to fix himself something to eat.

~~

How long Viggo had been sat at Sean's table he couldn't be sure, but the phone brought him back to awareness. He debated for a moment whether to answer it or not until the machine kicked in.

"This is Sean. Leave a message."

*Beep*

"Sean, this is Peter. I've spoken to the doctor and he's recommended you take the rest of the week off. We can film around you for a few days but call me and let me know how you are. Viggo, if you're there, give me a call."

It occurred to Viggo that he had no idea what Peter's number was. He had it written down on a scrap of paper that was somewhere in the vicinity of his phone at home. Thankfully, Sean was more organised and had a list of useful numbers neatly written and stuck to the wall by the phone. Viggo punched in Peter's number and it only rang a couple of times before it was answered.

"Sean?"

"No, Peter, it's Viggo. I'm at Sean's."

"How is he?"

"Running a pretty high fever at the moment but the doctor has left some medicine for him."

"Well, when he's feeling better you can tell him that he rides in the chopper from now on. I don't care if he throws up all over one of you."

There was humour in Peter's voice but Viggo knew he was serious. They couldn't afford for Sean to get sick again. Time was tight as it was.

"I'll tell him."

"The other reason I called is that I've rearranged the shooting schedule so that we're shooting some Shire scenes over the next few days. You stay there and look after Sean and you can both come back next week."

Viggo almost felt his heart stop. He could actually hear the amusement in Peters voice and in that moment he realised that he knew.
"Peter, I-"

"Take care of your friend, Viggo." Peter interrupted. "I'll give you a call in a few days to see how Sean is doing."

Viggo realised he wasn't going to be able to argue his way out of this one and he merely sighed. "Ok, bye Peter."

"Bye, Viggo."

As he hung up the phone Viggo banged his head against the wall. This was not good. If Peter knew then God knows how many other people knew. Shit, what if Sean knew?

Definitely not good.

~~

Viggo was halfway down the corridor to Sean's room when he heard the soft whimpers coming from behind the closed door. He quickened his pace a little and opened the door to Sean's room.

"Sean?"

He could hear Sean moving around in bed, although it was too dark to see what he was actually doing. Sean let out another small whimper and Viggo hurried to the side of the bed and knelt down.

"Sean?"

He could see now that Sean's face was drenched with sweat and that his features were scrunched up as though he were in pain.

"Sean, do you want me to call the doctor again?"

Viggo was starting to worry now, Sean seemed so much worse than he had when he'd fallen asleep.

"I'm calling the doctor."

As Viggo attempted to stand, Sean's hot and clammy hand reached out and grabbed hold of his wrist, preventing him from moving. It was then that Viggo noticed that Sean's eyes were now open, although they were glazed and appeared to be looking through him rather than at him.

"Aragorn," Sean whispered, his voice low and scratchy. "You must forgive me. I tried to take the ring from Frodo."

Sean was delirious, that much was obvious, but he sounded so distressed that Viggo did the only thing he could to calm him. He placed his hand on Sean's burning forehead and stroked his hair gently.

"Frodo is gone, Boromir. I let him go. You are free from the ring."

Sean sobbed. "I have betrayed you all."

"No, Frodo forgave you the moment it was over. I forgive you. Now, you must rest."

Sean's face relaxed a little and a flicker of a smile crossed his lips before his eyes drifted shut and he fell still. Viggo leaned over and placed a kiss on his forehead.