Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +

Summary: Be careful not to breathe in the germs

Rated: PG

Categories: LOTR FPS Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes

Word count: 764 Read: 880

Published: 02 Aug 2009 Updated: 02 Aug 2009

The life of a ranger is not that of a king, and vice versa.

He didn’t get out much anymore and it was starting to irk him. All day he’d been sat at his desk ploughing through interminable documents, amending, signing, rejecting. The piles didn’t seem to be getting any smaller.

Outside the cold spring rain was coming down in stair rods but here he had a roaring fire to keep him warm. Too roaring really, getting too hot to be comfortable, and must be a bit smoky too – his throat was feeling horribly scratchy.

An opened window brought cool air, the fresh, green scent of soaking wet nature and the conviction that he'd had far too much of indoors. He needed a break from all that dusty parchment, the touch of rain upon his skin, the wind in his hair.

A few minutes respite wouldn’t hurt.

And as he stepped out into the downpour a lost memory resurfaced.

It had rained so hard and there had been so little shelter... But then Boromir! Even Bill got his turn! Then Sam had said! And all the hobbits laughed and laughed and laughed and even Gandalf joined in with that great booming guffaw of his!

That was what he really missed, even more than the great outdoors.

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•


By the time Faramir found him, Aragorn was completely and utterly soaked. His cloak lay puddled in the mud of the Citadel’s lawn, hair plastered across his face, thin tunic and leggings clinging wetly to skin shivering with cold. He was babbling total nonsense about trees and a cave and then laughing so much they had to pause more than once during their painfully slow progress down to the Houses of Healing.

‘What did you think you were doing?’ the steward asked, not really expecting an answer.

‘Waiting for Beelya of course!’ was the mumbled reply, before Aragorn doubled over with a hacking cough that could only mean trouble.

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•


They’d given him a private room of course, but now he was on the mend he was bored and lonely and even the thought of getting back to work seemed enticing.

It was still raining, had been for what seemed like weeks now. Grey and rain, rain and grey was pretty much all he could see from his window. He now knew that city rain wasn’t at all like that of the wilds.

The first time he saw what he thought he saw he decided he must be imagining things.

But then there it was again! Surely the hallucinations could not have returned?

The third time was accompanied by the face he loved above all others grinning at him through the window, and Aragorn's heart leapt. There was a fumbling and a struggling at the door, then Boromir and his great round shield fell inside almost on top of each other.

‘I go away for two weeks, just two weeks, and what do you go and do? Little brother tells me he found you practically naked in the courtyard, looking like a drowned Númenórean rat and whittering on like Gollum on a bad day. Says you kept on yelling for Beelya and he has no idea at all what that’s about.’

‘Well he wouldn’t, would he?’ Aragorn managed to croak.

‘Nope. But I do!’

And with that Boromir upended his shield once again and trotted up and down before casting it aside and launching himself onto a laughing Aragorn’s sick-bed.

‘Remember? The awful rain in Hollin? Only that tiny stand of trees for shelter? Then you spotted a cave in the cliff face – but if we made a dash for it we’d have been drenched!’

‘Not even Gandalf could magic us out of that one!’

‘Ah! A good Gondorian shield is made for more than just protection from swords and arrows!’

‘Arrows of rain too! I thought you meant us to float across in it at first...’

‘Liar! You never did!’

‘It did make an excellent umbrella.’

‘And it made everybody laugh! Well, Sam did that bit really, likening me to some nasty old Hobbiton dragoness!’

‘That’s who I was waiting for in the rain, someone with a big umbrella of a shield.’

Boromir gave his king a protective hug and excessively sloppy kiss.

‘Well I'm here now, and here I'm staying to keep you safe, come rain or shine. Your very own Lobelia Sackville-Baggins!’