Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +

Summary: Aragorn is challenged to let some things fade…

Rated: G

Categories: LOTR FPS Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir

Warnings: None

Challenges:

Series: None

Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes

Word count: 714 Read: 722

Published: 13 Nov 2010 Updated: 13 Nov 2010

Story Notes:
DISCLAIMER: "These characters originate with their copyright holders. I borrow them for entertainment, not profit."
During the first years of his reign, as unfamiliar tasks and responsibilities crowded every waking hour, Elessar had made remembrance the anchor to keep him on the narrow path. There were a handful of days each year that saw public ceremonies across Gondor in remembrance of the fallen or celebration of victories hard won, but the King privately relived each moment of the Fellowship’s journey, weighed each decision taken then, using them as a yardstick against his task now.

As the years had passed, Elessar Telcontar had grown into his role, but where the civic events had taken on a solemn dignity honed by repetition, there was a part of the man that still harked back and Arwen had come to worry that he kept some private wounds fresh, unwilling to let the pain fade.

Then a few months ago Boromir had returned and amidst the wonder of it, she had seen the King’s gaze turned almost wholly to the now and had quietly rejoiced, for a ghost that had haunted her love was turned into a living, breathing, man whose presence challenged his King to let old battles pass from the light.

She understood that there were memories that haunted Boromir still, but the men had shared much and Arwen realised that she valued Boromir’s simple concentration on living from day-to-day, striving to do the best for his son, his King and country, as grounding Elessar in the here-and-now.

.................................................................................................

Boromir was nowhere to be seen, but Aragorn could hear his rich, deep laugh coming from behind one of the hedges and also a soughing sound as though waves swept back-and-forth across the grass plot beyond.

As he passed under the green archway, he came upon Lord Boromir and his gardener with rakes, gathering the fallen leaves into piles. The fruit trees were bare now, those best pruned before the frosts came had been cut back, and Aragorn could see the child further down the garden adding the cuttings to a large pile.

Boromir looked around and took one hand from the rake to press it to his heart in salute, whilst the gardener bowed his head solemnly to the King.

Aragorn stood before one of the leaf-piles stirring it with the toe of his boot – so much bright gold scattered with rubies – and knew without asking that this was a hoard that warmed Boromir’s heart more than any material riches ever could.

“Will you burn these too?” he asked, gesturing to where Arin was trying to throw the largest branches to land a-top the unlit bonfire.

“Nay, sire,” Boromir answered, before the gardener could speak, “this leaf will rot down in time to make a good mulch and next season we’ll spread it a hand’s depth around the roses. “

Aragorn looked at the nearby beds, already snug beneath blankets of rotted leaf-mould.

“That is from a year back, sire,” said the gardener.

“We found a market gardener with mulch to spare,” Boromir added, “and carted it in.”

“I can see you’re well prepared for the frost.”

Boromir grinned and hoisted his rake over his shoulder.

““A good warm bed is a blessing in winter, sire. Will you bring the Queen and your little ones to see the bonfire lit?” he asked, as the gardener moved around them collecting up the last of the leaves. “There’s a few of Gandalf’s rockets saved.”

“Will there be gingerbread and spiced ale?” Aragorn was smiling broadly, but his gaze was on the child, running back up the path towards them.

“Aye! And hot apple juice for the little ones,” Boromir laughed.

Aragorn turned to look at him.

“The little ones,” he murmured.

Boromir knew then that he thought of the hobbits and all the campfires they had sat around on their journey.

“We could roast some ‘taters in the ashes,” Boromir said softly.

Aragorn gazed at him for a moment and then bowed his head in agreement.

“The palace will provide the salt,” he said.

“And there will be butter,” Boromir added firmly, “we have butter.”

Aragorn looked at him and was startled to feel the prick of tears behind his eyelids, but knew that there was no sorrow there.

“Salt,” he agreed, “and lots of butter.”